Today is a holiday. It is the called clean Monday. The Greeks celebrate this day, which is also the carnival's end by going to the country and flying kites. It is the beginning of their lent (Christian Orthodox). The carnival begins 56 days before Easter Sunday. Since our apartment is close to Philopappos hill and that is a popular spot for them to go, we decided to climb the hill and have a look.
![]() |
| Church of Saint Demetrios Loumbardiaris - 12th century |

![]() |
| View from Philopappos hill |
![]() |
| People and kites everywhere |


![]() |
| Kites for sale |

![]() |
| Kimon's Tomb |
![]() |
| The Prison of Socrates |
After a break in our apartment we decided to go for a couple of caches near the Parthenon. We had a travel bug (geocaching) whose mission was to go to a cache just below the Parthenon. As I had not reached my minimum number of steps (15,000) for the day while on vacation it was as good a time as any to go. Today was our most relaxing day so far. Maybe we are just getting used to all those hills, stairs and walking. Since we have been here, we have walked over 20,000 steps everyday.
We finished the day by having our usual glass of wine with cheese and pita bread. For supper I made a Greek salad with tomatoes, cucumber, kalamata olives and feta. I wasn't too sure about a dressing, so I just mixed some olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice and added a crushed garlic and oregano. I haven't had a salad here yet so not too sure what they put in it but it's definitely a do again.








No comments:
Post a Comment