We made it to Oporto. It has been a long day. We were up at 5:30
this morning in order to be ready when our transfer came to pick us up at 6:30.
The train ride was long and not as picturesque as we thought it would be.
However, we did see lots of cork trees and lots of olive trees.
I am always amazed when I go to Europe how they can grow crops in
soil that looks so dry and arid. Yet they manage to grow fruits and vegetables
that taste far better than ours. Everyone who has a small garden patch seems to
need to contain his parcel of land with pieces of corrugated iron, various
sorts of lumber, netting or whatever other junk they have accumulated over the
years. The gardens are also lined with huge water bottles that they either
collect rain in or use as mini hot houses. I don't know but would love to find
out what all those bottles are for.
I am going to love Porto. From what we have seen so far, it is a
beautiful city full of old buildings, monuments, churches and narrow streets. A
lot of the houses are covered in ceramic tiles. I hope that we will have enough
time to explore all there is to see.
 |
| We made it to Porto |
 |
| Narrow streets and hills |
 |
| View from our appartment |
 |
| Another view from our appartment |
 |
| Porto train station |
Here also there are lots of hills, but we did our training in
Albuferia 😁 and
they are not much worse.